The Division of Computational and Theoretical Chemistry of the European Chemical Society (EuChemS) announces the first call for the EuChemS Walter Thiel Award In Computational and Theoretical Chemistry.
The award recognizes an outstanding scientific contribution of a young researcher based in a country affiliated to the EuChemS. The award is granted every two years. It includes a prize amount of one thousand Euros, the EuChemS Walter Thiel medal, and an invitation to present a plenary lecture on the award winner’s research at the EuChemS-DCTC conference.
Walter Thiel was one of the world’s leading European theoretical chemists of the late 20th and early 21st century. He was among those who realized the potential of theoretical and computational chemistry, not only to predict and understand a great variety of phenomena in chemistry, physics and biochemistry, but also to establish the route toward the exploration of new processes and provide the answers to many of the questions that challenge our understanding of the world around us. At the same time, Walter was a great scientist, an outstanding personality with great sensibility and enormous respect for others. It is Walter’s vision of science and his spirit that our award shall promote.
- Nominees are looked for who are performing excellent research which led already to outstanding scientific contribution in the broad field of Computational and/or Theoretical Chemistry
- Despite the intention to promote a young scientist, no age limit is imposed.
- The nominee should be affiliated with an institution based in a country affiliated to the EuChemS.
Nominations are accepted from all Member Societies of the EuChemS; especially welcome are those endorsed by several Societies. A one page praise of the achievements of the nominee should describe the work done and its significance to the scientific field. This should be augmented with a few links to make the decision process easier.
The deadline for nominations is the 31st of May 2022.
- The Award Committee assembles a shortlist of potential awardees by 1st July.
- Candidates will be selected during the Division meeting beginning of September.
- The Award will be handed out during the EuChemS-DCTC meeting in September in Greece.