Public Consultation on the Ratification by the EU of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
EuChemS has submitted its input to the public consultation on the Ratification by the EU of the Minamata Convention on Mercury.
In June 2014, the European Commission launched a public consultation to solicit stakeholders’ input on specific issues related to the implementation of the Minamata Convention on Mercury. The results of the consultation will be used as input for the preparation of the Impact Assessment covering specific key areas where EU legislation may need to be amended such as:
- Import restrictions for metallic mercury from non-Parties to the Convention;
- Export ban for certain products containing mercury;
- Mercury use in new products and processes;
- Restrictions on certain processes where mercury is used;
- Mercury use in Artisanal and Small-scale Gold Mining (ASGM);
- Environmentally sound storage of non-waste mercury stocks.
EuChemS contribution to the public consultation on the the Ratification by the EU of the Minamata Convention on Mercury.